Saturday, December 13, 2014

The Next Big Challenge

Over the 2014 Labor Day weekend, we took our Popup trailer (hereinafter referred to as the P'up) up to Jacob Lake Campground, where the Alt 89 route meets the 67 leading to Grand Canyon National Park North Rim. We took a drive up to the Canyon one day over the weekend, and I thought that day about how I've only seen the Canyon from the top. I've been to the Grand Canyon many times over the years, and never ventured much beyond a short walk from a parking lot.
 
I thought about it a bit after that weekend, and decided I needed to see the Canyon up close and personal, by doing the Rim to Rim hike. My plan isn't just a day hike across. I don't disparage those who do the Rim to Rim in one day, but especially since it will be my first time across, I want to take the time to experience the Canyon. I liked the suggestion one writer made to do the hike in four days, and that's what I'll be working towards in my training.
 
I haven't done any serious hiking in a bit over thirty years, let alone anything as challenging as the Canyon, so my first step in preparation is getting back out on the trails.
 
Since some of my online friends expressed some interest, I decided to put together this blog to journal getting back in the kind of shape needed for a butt-kicking hike like the Rim to Rim.
 
So far, I've done a few day hikes, getting back into the strike and relearning what works. After the first one, I figured out the old boots weren't going to cut it. A trip to our local outdoors store, Summit Hut, was in order. I found a nice pair of Vasque hiking boots on their clearance shelf in my size, and on the hikes since, I've been quite happy with the fit and feel of them.
 
It'll likely be a year at least until I'm ready for the Rim to Rim, and it's difficult to say how soon after that I'll be able to get the overnight permit.
 
I plan on posting about my training hikes, stuff I learn in the process, photos I take on the trails, and generally anything related to preparing for this challenge.
 
Thanks for checking out the blog. I hope you enjoy following along on this trek.
 
 
The view towards Wasson Peak, at the Sweetwater Saddle in Tucson Mountain Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment